Sunday, April 27, 2014

A Strong Tailwind



"For I would ride with you upon the wind ..."

-- W.B. Yeats, The Land of Heart's Desire




Pinwheel  toy 4-27-14


"The wind envelops you with a certain purpose in mind ..."

-- Haruki Murakami, Hear the Wind Sing

"Air, I should explain, becomes wind when it is agitated."


-- Lucretious, On The Nature of Things


Cycling into a strong wind makes cycling feel a lot like hard work.

But thankfully, for every headwind there is an equal and opposite tailwind.

Turning the corner and riding a long stretch of smooth road with the wind at my back makes all the hard work worth it. This the part of the ride I live for -- the warm, gooey center. 

It's like dragging your sled up a huge snowy hill just so you can whiz down and feel the speed and freedom of fast. I'll gladly endure the burn in my legs and plow into a headwind or grapple with a crosswind for the sweet, exhilarating reward of being carried along by a strong tailwind. 

Headwind, bad.

Tailwind, good.