Thursday, April 17, 2014

Something To Keep Me From Totally Flipping My S#!T Because I'm Stuck Indoors


"To be human is to keep rattling the bars of the cage of existence,
hollering, 'What's it for?'"

-- Robert Fulghum


Self portrait 4-17-14


"Human beings want to be free 
and however long they may agree to stay locked up, to stay oppressed, 
there will come a time when they say 'That's it.'
Suddenly they find themselves doing something 
that they never would have thought they would be doing,
simply because of the human instinct that makes them turn their face towards freedom."

-- Aung San Suu Kyi

It snowed, again and dropped into the low 20s, again.

Remember those lovely daffodils I talked about a couple of days ago? They're fucked.

After the rain beat the shit out of them, the show completely crushed them into the ground.

I tasted freedom during an all-too-brief weekend breakout, but then Winter threw me back in lockup and slammed the cell door.

I'm trapped inside looking out, again.

Yesterday I could be have used my time in solitary confinement (or as I like to think of it, "the hole") to get a jump on Spring cleaning the house -- the windows need washing, the carpets need sweeping, the furniture needs dusting, the grout needs scrubbing.

Instead, in a desperate act of survival, I spent the afternoon fighting back the crazy by making this self portrait of how I'm feeling right about now. I had to get it out of my system before I totally flipped my shit and started smashing stuff. It's a good thing, cuz I was about to start eating my own offspring.

The grout can fucking wait. I have more important things to do.