Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A Surprise Visit From My Very Own Kid



"Well, hello there, Mother," Sebastian said in a voice like silk.
"Surprised to see me?"

-- Cassandra Clare, City of Lost Souls


Monster finger puppets 1-28-14


"There is no surprise more magical than the surprise of being loved."

-- Charles Morgan


"Vernon! My dear, what a delightful surprise!"

-- Georgette Heyer, Frederica





Typically, when someone shows up on my doorstep uninvited and unannounced, my first thought is "Aw, shit."

But when it's my own kid, home for a couple of days because his college canceled classes at the last minute due to dangerously frigid temperatures, my first thought is "Aw-some!"

He didn't stay long, but while he was here I got to mother him a little bit. I cooked meatballs and spaghetti and we all sat down and ate dinner together. I cut his hair. I popped him popcorn (real popcorn on the stove). I rode along in my PJs for a late night drive through run. We went to the mall and didn't buy anything.

No big whoop. Just little stuff. 

Still, it was a really good surprise.

He could have done anything he wanted with his days off. He didn't even have to tell us he had days off. And whatever he chose to do, I would have been fine with it. He's a big kid living in a big kid world, doing big kid things.

But I have to admit, it did feel mighty good that, given the choice, he chose to come here.