Tuesday, January 7, 2014

It's So Cold I Can Dress Like Paul Bunyan



"Neither sleet nor rain nor a half inch of snow 
will compel me to dress like a lumberjack."

-- Gayle Forman, If I Stay

Self portrait 1-7-14


"A bitter wind, heavy with icy particles, whipped at my face,
its howling forming the high notes of a symphony ...

-- Theophile Gautier, Hashish, Wine, Opium


"The cold cut like a many bladed knife."

-- Israel Zangwill, The Big Bow Mystery



With sub-zero temperatures and an even sub-er zero-er windchill, fashion goes right out the window, like the heat when someone leaves a door open and what are you trying to do, heat the whole neighborhood?! 

Sorry, I just turned into my dad for a second.

I'm not all that fashionable to begin with, but in the kind of cold snap we are having, I don't need an excuse to dress like a lumberjack. I don't care if all those layers make me look big and bulky, either. The more the merrier. And high-tech micro fiber gear doesn't cut it. Bring on the waffle-weave, the heavy flannel, the wool socks, hats and boots. Something about the weight and warmth of it all feels comforting and protective.

Another bonus of bundling up is that you can be kind of incognito. You can get groceries, gas up the car, whatever, and nobody will recognize you. 

If I could grow a real beard, I totally would right now.

But I can't, which, if you ask my husband, is probably a good thing.

Timbrrrrrr!