Monday, January 6, 2014

Playing With My Food


"Them thighs come with that shake?"

-- Bun B, "Cake"


Barbie legs with ketchup and a burger 1-6-14



"Sometimes I pray to Cod for the veal-power to stop playing with my food words,
but I fear it's too bread into me. For all I know, the wurst may be yet to come."

-- Mark Morton, "Arts & Scantlings," 
Gastronomica, Fall 2006



"My last name's McDonald and I don't make dresses out of french fries."

-- Bradon McDonald, Project Runway (Season 12)



If you followed my previous blog  (A Face A Day 2013) for even a minute, then you know I play with food, and Barbies, a lot. So even though it's a new year and a new 365 days project, some things will remain the same.

Since last year was all about faces, this year I hope to explore some other aspects of Barbie's personality.

I spent the better part of an early afternoon collecting and assembling the necessary items for this shot. 

Special thanks to Leo, for driving me to the drive-thru, and then for taking me back through the drive-thru again because I forgot to ask for ketchup and salt the first time. He also took two perfect bites of the burger for me. (It's time he learned that it's a photo assistant's job to do the dirty work. Hey, I paid him. With the rest of the burger.)

 He and my husband also bravely polished off the large order of fries so I could have the empty sleeve. 

Tough duty, I know.

If that ain't love, I don't know what is.

And then I got lost in that happy place I go to when I'm making something. Call it a groove. Call it flow. Call it being swept away. It's that place where time flies and suddenly an hour or two have blitzed by, and I realize that poor Leo is still waiting patiently at the table for the rest of his burger, which has gone stone cold.

And he eats it anyway. Without even warming it up. And when I ask him how it tasted, you know what he says?

"Good."