Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A Backup Plan



"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B."

-- James Yorke



Sheldon's Marsh 2-18-14


"Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity.
To seize everything you ever wanted in one moment.
Would you capture it or just let it slip?"

-- Eminem

Coat? Check.
Boots? Check.
Hat? Check.
Mittens? Check.
Camera? Fuck.

When Leo and I go for walks in the woods, we always bring our cameras, just in case we see anything photo-worthy.

But this time my camera battery was spent and I hadn't charged it yet.

My 35 mm camera is broken.

I was screwed.

Or was I?

I grabbed my 1985 point-and-shoot and my $1.99 thrift store Polaroid and off we went. At one point I was wearing both of my cameras, Leo's camera, and Leo's deer call all at once. Leo said that with all that shit hanging around my neck I looked like Louis from The Trumpet of the Swan. Gotta love a good literary insult from a wise-ass kid.

The film is still in the point-and-shoot, so I'll have to wait and see if any of the four frames I shot on it are any good.

I shot two pictures with the Polaroid. The thing about Polaroids is, you only get eight shots per pack of film, and each shot costs roughly $4 apiece, so you've got to choose wisely. It's not like a digital camera where you can fire off hundreds of shots for free. You have to conserve film -- make damn sure before you press the button.

One of the Polaroids was terribly underexposed, but this one came out pretty good, I think. I like how the setting sun is peeking through the trees, and I like the sort of misty quality of it. It's a moment that reminds me of a whole lot of other moments that made up an afternoon adventure with someone special.

When I got home, it was actually kind of nice not having to sort through frame after frame after frame.

Nevertheless, for about half the price of a pack of Polaroid film, I went ahead and ordered two extra batteries and another charger for my digital camera so this doesn't happen again. I like Polaroids, but I'm not made of money.

When you only have one shot, that's your one shot.

So you take it.

But it's always a good thing to have a backup plan.