Saturday, February 22, 2014

Getting Lost Inside Myself


"Part of the urge to explore is the desire to become lost."

-- Tracy Johnston, 
Shooting the Boh: A Woman's Voyage Down the Wildest River in Borneo



Self portrait 2-22-14


"I have nowhere to go and no place I'm supposed to be.
Am I lost or completely free?"

-- Doug Cooper, Outside In



"Far from troubling him, this state of being lost 
became a source of happiness, of exhilaration.
He breathed it into his very bones. "

-- Paul Auster, The Invention of Solitude


Where am I?

Have you seen me?

Maybe I'm hiding.

Or maybe I'm lost.

Either way, I'm gone. Vanished. Hiding in my work. Lost in the worlds of my imagination. 

I've been other kinds of lost -- the frightening, terrifying, panic-inducing kind. 

But this is a lost of a different hue.

This is the good kind of lost -- the exhilarating, wondrous, happy-inducing kind.

I like it here.

I know I can't stay forever and that I'll have to navigate my way back eventually.

But I hope I don't find me just yet.