Friday, February 7, 2014

Getting My Money's Worth



"It's cold outside and I can't wear mittens
because they're not flattering to my hands."

-- Tom Haverford, Parks and Recreation, 
Season 5 Episode 9, "Ron and Diane"


Self portrait 2-7-14


"Thank you adult mittens,
for allowing me to give people the finger
without them knowing it."

-- Jimmy Fallon, Thank You Notes




So I bought these mittens online because they were a real bargain, and also because I needed to round up my total to get the free shipping.

They're transformer mittens, you know, the flip-top kind where the tops of the mittens fold back to reveal half-fingered gloves. So I get the warmth of mittens, yet still have access to my fingertips if and when I need them. It's a best of both worlds kind of thing.

The thumbs of these mittens aren't involved in the big reveal, though. Just the fingers. Except the thumbs have little slits in them just inside the knuckle (between the Proximal and Distal phalanges, if you wanna be all anatomically correct, which, of course, I do). These little slits are just the right size for me to slip out my thumbs for texting, or adjusting my camera, or hitch-hiking, or being fingerprinted, or thumb-sucking or whatever. I simply have to pull off their little knit hoods.

What I really love, though, is that with their hoods up, the little gaps remain open, so my thumbs look like they're wearing itty-bitty ski masks -- like they're about to rob a bank or something shifty.

Transformer mittens with tiny thumb ski masks?

They're warm, practical, and a super-fun toy all in one.

I'm no math wiz, but if my tally is correct, that makes three good things in one day.

I told you they were a bargain.