Monday, March 17, 2014

Planning A-Head


"Always plan ahead.
It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

-- Richard Cushing

A quart jar of Barbie heads 3-17-14


I am neither a planner nor a prepar-er by nature.

My husband is in charge of our retirement planning, which is absolutely a good thing because for me, planning for the future means making sure the DVR is set to record Ink Master, and somehow I usually manage to fuck that up.

But every now and then I get crazy efficient and responsible and plan ahead. Like when I stock the freezer with homemade soup. Or when I preserve strawberry jam or applesauce.

Or Barbie heads.

Cuz you never know when you're gonna need extra Barbie heads. So it's a good idea to have some on hand.

We've gotten into a bit of a Sunday afternoon at the movies routine around here, but sometimes a later matinee makes it difficult to get supper on the table at a reasonable hour.

I mean, we can't eat Chipotle every time we go to a movie can we?

So yesterday I got smart and prepared all of the essentials ahead of time. We were having tacos (take that Chipotle), so I did all of the slicing and dicing in the early afternoon and had everything waiting on a shelf in the fridge for when we got home. It was a good thing, because all I had to do in order to get supper on the table was turn on the rice cooker, warm the tortillas and re-heat the meat.

Fifteen minutes later, presto!

It looked like I'd spent a lot of time preparing the meal -- which I had. I'd just spent it earlier in the day. And thanks to my strategic pre-planning, I got to spend the afternoon hanging out at the movies with my boyz.

As a fun bonus, while the rice was steaming, I had time to can a quart of Barbie heads and shoot this photo. I was going to do a lame picture of some industrious ants, but the Barbies-in-a-jar idea hit me on the way out the door to go to the movie. And because of my super-smart pre-planning, I had just enough time to get supper on the table and create the shot all at once.

Yep. I photograph Barbie heads in canning jars.

Now do you see why I'm not the one in charge of our retirement?