Thursday, March 20, 2014

Words To Live By


"Art is not optional."

-- Nathan Sawaya

Self portrait in the best t-shirt ever 3-20-14


Some things are non-negotiable.

One of those things, in my life anyway, is art.

That's why I love 365 days projects like this one, because I am committed to pursuing art every single day.

Aside from this daily blog, however, my artwork doesn't reach beyond my own four walls much. In the grand scheme of things, my work doesn't make much of a difference in anyone else's life but my own. And that's OK.

But there are artists out there with much grander vision and far greater reach than mine who make it their mission to change the world with their art. People like Nathan Sawaya, a New York artist who sculpts awe-inspiring life-sized creations from LEGO bricks, and whose words adorn the t-shirt that I'm wearing in today's self portrait.

I bought this t-shirt because obviously, it's awesome as fuck. But also because of the cause behind it.

"Yellow," by Nathan Sawaya
Nathan is contributing funds from his t-shirt designs to a cause called Art Revolution to raise funds to help put art supplies in kids' hands, and arts education back into America's schools. The foundation's mission is to advocate the importance of art in everyday life, and is driven by their stand against the "alarming devaluation of the arts in today's schools and communities."

In a scary time when art is falling victim to budget cuts and state mandates, when our children's creativity is being starved out, artists like Nathan Sawaya and others are trying to turn the tide a t-shirt at a time.

Buying a t-shirt may not seem like a super revolutionary act, but if enough of us each does a little bit, maybe it will make a difference and change a life somehow, somewhere.

And if that's not a good thing, then I don't know what is.



(Special thanks to my friend Kelly for turning me on to this t-shirt and its inspiring mission. Pass it on!)