Sunday, August 31, 2014

Being A Mom


"Whatever life brings, we'll share," she says,
"and I can do no more than the best I can."

-- Carol Emshwiller, Carmen Dog

Mother and child 8-31-14

"Being a mother is learning about strengths you didn't know you had,
and dealing with fears you didn't know existed."

-- Linda Wooten




Life is plenty challenging already, and as my boys press their way into manhood they'll have to strive and try and work hard to impress others, and win the affections and approval and acceptance of others.

Fuck the others.

I'm their mother.

I give them that shit for free.

My own two boys would probably be the first to say that when it comes to mothering, I'm no kind of nurturer.

I'm not the soft, homey, touchy-feely tender type.

They'd probably say that sometimes I get it right.

They'd definitely say that sometimes I totally fuck it up.

No matter what they say, I just hope that in my care, such as it is, they'll always feel loved enough, and safe enough and important enough.

Mostly, I just hope they'll always feel that they simply are "enough."