Saturday, August 16, 2014

Beneficial Pests


"Hey farmer, farmer
Put away that DDT now
Give me spots on my apples
But leave me the birds and the bees, please."

-- Joni Mitchell, "Big Yellow Taxi"

Spider and web in an apple tree 8-16-14


"Fortunately, every pest has a predator,
and we can use that natural food chain to our advantage."

-- Debbie Hadley, 
"How to Attract Beneficial Insects 
to Control Garden Pests," About.com



"Spiders -- so needed and yet so misunderstood."

-- Donna Lynn Hope, Willow




I practice all natural, organic pest control in my garden.

I hand-pull the weeds. 

I rely on a small fence to keep out the rabbits.

I use natural remedies -- like milk to combat the weird fungus on my zucchini leaves -- whenever I can.

I let the bees and butterflies pollinate and do whatever else bees and butterflies do.

When the baby praying Mantises hatched in the shrubbery out front, I hand-delivered five of them to the garden and rested them on my tomato plants so they could grow up strong and fat eating the aphids and broccoli bugs.

I let Mother Nature handle the rest of the insects.

She's doing a good job. The garden plants are thriving and so far nothing is nibbling at them before we get the chance.

Yesterday I found this spider hanging out on her web in the branches of one of my apple trees. 

I don't love spiders, in my house anyway. But I have no problem at all with them loitering in my garden or in "Two Tree Orchard" (i.e. my tiny two dwarf apple trees).

After I checked out the spider, I checked on the apples. They looked pretty good. Red. Ripening. Plentiful.

A few apples had a few spots, but I'm not worried about it. I can cut those out with a paring knife.  

No pests is a good thing, whether I'm making tomato sandwiches, zucchini bread, basil pesto or homemade applesauce.

That's why Mother Nature heads up my garden staff.

She works hard.

I try not to be a pest.