Monday, August 4, 2014

Two People Sharing One iPod


"Happiness quite unshared can scarcely be called happiness; it has no taste."

-- Charlotte Bronte

Styrofoam wig forms 8-4-14


"It ain't no fun if the homies can't have none."

-- Snoop Dogg




Maybe I'm a slow learner, but yesterday I discovered that I can listen to the actual radio through my iPod.

That means I can listen to baseball games -- through my iPod.

So that's what I did.

We were at the firing range shooting pistols, and I wore my ear buds underneath my protective sound-canceling headphones. It was the best of both worlds. I was shooting and listening to the Indians beat the Rangers in a 12-inning showdown -- through my iPod.

When we were done shooting and waiting for the others to finish up, my husband sat down beside me on a bench where I was listening to the final innings. I'd been giving him game updates all afternoon. 

I held one of my blue ear buds out to him.

Me: "Want one?"

Him: "Sure."

And so we listened to the last couple of innings like two kids, heads bent toward each other, shoulders pressed together sharing their favorite songs -- two people listening on a device meant for one. 

It felt a little like a date -- kind of sweet and romantic, intimate in a way -- a modern tech-age version of holding hands. 

I guess the kids have known it all along. If you want to get closer to someone, there's a really good way to get there -- through an iPod.