Tuesday, June 10, 2014

A Nice Ass

"Thanks for noticin'." 

-- Eeyore

Donkey's ass 6-10-14


"What are the thoughts that grope behind,
Down in the mist of a donkey mind?"

-- C.S. Lewis, "The Ass"


A donkey 6-10-14

Two donkeys 6-10-14

These cute little donkeys live on a farm with some horses, some sheep, some llamas, some chickens and a very affectionate cat.

I drive past this farm occasionally, and when I do, I always check to see if the donkeys are out so I can photograph them.

It never fails.

When the donkeys are out, I don't have my camera.

When I do have my camera, the donkeys aren't out.

It can be very frustrating.

Yesterday was a frustrating kind of day. I had some things to do, some errands to run, and I kept getting stymied every which way I turned.

I was being unusually ambitious, and the world simply wasn't cooperating.

Donkey's rolling around 6-10-14
I didn't want my errand-running mission to be totally fruitless, so I decided to take the long way home and swing by the farm.


It was a lovely afternoon. Perhaps the donkeys would be out.

They were.

And I had my camera.

I parked my car, wandered over to the fence and watched the donkeys do the stuff that donkeys do in their dopey donkey way.

They munched grass.

They rolled around in the dust.

They nibbled at each other's necks.

Mostly they munched grass.

You know.

Donkey business.

Sitting donkey 6-10-14


It was unexpectedly entertaining.

Unlike the rest of the stubborn old world, the typically-obstinate donkeys were being uncharacteristically cooperative.

Who doesn't appreciate a nice ass?