Sunday, June 15, 2014

Roadside Farm Stands


"I would like to see people more aware of where their food comes from.
I would like to see small farmers empowered."

-- Anthony Bourdain

Fresh strawberries at a roadside stand 6-15-14

"Buy quality, buy organic, buy natural,
go to the farmers market.
Immediately that's going to increase the quality
of the food you make."

-- Michael Symon

Roadside farm stand 6-15-14

"Know your food, know your farmers,
and know your kitchen."

-- Joel Salatin

Farm stand money box 6-15-14

Sam and I drove to a roadside farm stand yesterday for fresh strawberries and rhubarb.

I love living in a place where the produce is fresh as can be from land that is in spitting distance.

Homemade strawberry-rhubarb cobbler 6-15-14
I love living in a place where people honor the "honor system" and trust their customers to deposit the right amount of money in the box and not steal all their unattended berries  -- or their money box.

I love bringing home fruit that tastes sweet as candy, and then baking it into something golden, warm and bubbly.


I love the intoxicating aroma wafting from my kitchen --  fragrantly comforting, homey and welcoming.

I love sharing a bowl of homemade strawberry-rhubarb cobbler, still warm and still fresh from the oven, with my sweet neighbor who reminds me, frequently, that strawberry-rhubarb is her favorite. I love her smile and her little pleased gasp when I tell her what's under the tin foil.

So why don't you find a farm market.

Then buy something good.

Then make something good.

Then eat something good.

And share something good.

Got it?

Good.