Sunday, July 20, 2014

A Family Outing


"What greater thing is there for human souls
than to feel that they are joined for life --
to be with each other in silent unspeakable memories."

-- George Eliot


Chessmen 7-20-14

"The memories of my family outings are still a source of strength to me.
I remember we'd all pile into the car -- I forget what kind it was -- and drive and drive.
I'm not sure where we'd go, but I think there were some trees there.
The smell of something was strong in the air as we played whatever sport we played.
I remember a bigger, older guy we called 'Dad.'
We'd eat some stuff, or not, and then I think we went home.
I guess some things never leave you."

-- Jack Handy, "Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy"





Because I'm a baseball junkie, for my birthday the guys took me out to the ballgame.

The Indians are on a two-week road trip, so instead of going to Progressive Field, we went to see the Lake Erie Crushers play the Florence Freedom in a Frontier League showdown at All Pro Freight Stadium.

I like Crushers games because the ballpark is smaller, parking is simpler, tickets are cheaper and you can get a lot closer to the action. And for me, baseball is baseball. I'll watch anyone play as long as its a good game.

And it was.

We had front row seats directly behind home plate.

The rain stopped just in time.

The french fries were hot and crispy.

The beer was cold.

Leo got a rare lucky "double dog" -- he unfolded the foil and discovered two wieners in one bun.

We saw a rainbow (also lucky).

One of the Crushers players (#25, you're my favorite) gave me a foul ball.

The Crushers slammed a few dingers and taters and, well, crushed the Freedom 16-4.

When we got home, we all ate chocolate cake.

It was all good, but the best part was that we were all together having a really good time. 

I think that's why I prefer "experience" gifts over "stuff" gifts.

Stuff just sits around, takes up space and gathers dust until you eventually lose interest. 

But experiences happen. Here. Now. 

Everyone gets to take part. 

And the only space they take up is in your memories, where it's a good thing there's always room for more.