Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Nothing From a Box, Can, Store or Truck

"When eating fruit, remember who planted the tree;
when drinking water, remember who dug the well."

-- Vietnamese proverb


Vegetable frittata 7-30-14


"We may find in the long run that tinned food 
is a deadlier weapon than the machine-gun."

-- George Orwell

"Shipping is a terrible thing to do to vegetables. 
They probably get jet-lagged, just like people."

-- Elizabeth Berry



One of the most singular pleasures in life, for me anyway, is cooking a meal with food that comes straight from the good things growing in my own garden.

Yesterday I did just that, using ingredients I picked twenty steps from my backdoor. Anything I didn't grow myself came from someone I know who did.

I provided the zucchini, basil and tomato (I found my first ripe one blushing on the vine yesterday).

My farmer friend Bob grew the spinach a stone's throw away on his local vegetable farm. 

The eggs came from a physical therapist named Megan who raises her own chickens. She personally hand-delivers dozens of her home-grown brown beauties -- eggs so far beyond "jumbo" that the cartons won't close over their tops -- to my husband at work every week or two. 

With this handful of simple, good things, I took a personal stand against "big food" and the corn cartel and environmental negligence and processed pseudo-food and cooked up a nutritious, deliciously simple vegetable frittata.

It was probably the best frittata I've ever eaten. I made enough to fill my biggest cast-iron skillet -- plenty for four people -- and ate half of it all by myself. I'd give you the recipe, but there isn't one. Sorry. I just free-formed with what I had and made it up as I went along.

I like cooking that way. 

It feels more creative and exciting and satisfying. Instead of running to the store to buy something some cookbook or recipe writer says I should use, I'd much rather assess what I have on hand, and go from there, creating something good all on my own -- with a little help from my friends.