Saturday, July 19, 2014

Pain Relief


"We begin to realize that it will take something 
more powerful than we are
to relieve our suffering."

-- Marta Mrotek, 
Miracle in Progress: A Handbook for Holistic Recovery


Wet noodle 7-19-14


" ... that breath of relief that there is someone in the world, finally, 
who understands what hurts you."

-- Lysley Tenorio, Monstress


"So, verily, with every difficulty, there is relief;
Verily, with every difficulty there is relief."

--The Quran




For the most part I try to rely on acupuncture and massage therapy to iron out and relax my sore muscles. 

But every once in a while I need pharmaceutical intervention.

I had a pretty painful and stubborn shoulder spasm happening after my bike ride a couple of days ago.

It was night time, so acupuncture and massage weren't options.

I tried to massage it myself, but I couldn't reach it.

I rolled around on the floor with a baseball under my shoulder blade, and tried to work it out that way.

It hurt. And it didn't work either.

The pain had already disrupted one night's sleep, and I wasn't interested in it happening again.

So at bedtime I took a muscle relaxer.

My stiff, sore, rigid spasm-y muscle (and the whole rest of me) gave up its hold and I relaxed like a limp wet noodle. I slept hard and solid, all night, and woke up more rested and refreshed than I have in a long time. 

In the morning, my shoulder felt a lot better -- a little sore, but the spasm had finally un-clenched and released its grip.

Aaaah.

To celebrate --

Ding! Ding! Ding!

-- here's a "One Good Thing/One Bad Joke" special bonus:

Q: What do you call a fake noodle?
A: An impasta.

Get it?

Good.