Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A Nap


"Let's begin by taking a smallish nap or two."

-- Winnie the Pooh


Polymer clay sleepy head 5-14-15


"I usually take a two-hour nap from one to four."

-- Yogi Berra


"There's a nap for that."



Sleep school rule number one is "Don't nap." 

Ever.

So I don't.

I can't even remember the last time I fell asleep during the daytime. 

Well, actually, I can. It was yesterday.

A nap ambushed me. It sneaked up one me from the tall grass and pounced. Hard.

I was taking a little post-bike ride, post-lunch break with my feet up in Big Daddy's recliner, about a half hour before I had to get Leo from school. I wasn't planning on falling asleep simply because I just don't do that anymore.

Nearly two hours later, Leo was home and I was just barely waking up. He had to walk home because I never showed up. I'd slept through his multiple texts and calls, as well as "where are you?" messages from my husband. 

That never happens anymore. 

It felt so damn good, though. 

I didn't beat myself up about it, because it was a sabotage nap. I never saw it coming, and there was nothing I could do about it anyway.

I was afraid it would fuck with my sleep last night, but it didn't. Not even a little bit. I slept like a very sleepy drugged baby. I even slept through my alarm this morning and got up an hour and a half late, in blatant violation of sleep school rule number two, which is "Always get up at the prescribed time."

Whatever.