Thursday, May 22, 2014

A Well-Stocked Freezer


"One morning, as I went to the freezer door, I asked my wife,
'What should I take out for dinner?'
Without a moment's hesitation, she replied, 'Me.'"

-- Unknown


Frozen soup 5-22-14

"How to thaw a frozen turkey: 'Blow in its ear.'"

-- Johnny Carson


I didn't feel good yesterday.

Actually, I felt really shitty. The last thing I felt like doing was cooking, or eating.

On days like that, I'm super glad that there have been other days when I've felt better and had the energy and foresight to stock my freezer with lots of homemade soups and other good things.

So I thawed some delicious homemade chicken soup in the slow cooker so that it was all heated up and ready just in time for supper. Somewhere I found the energy to whip up some cornbread (yes, from scratch). Then I spent the rest of the afternoon in the recliner with heating pads on my sore tummy, watching the Indians beat the Tigers in 14 innings of some of the most exciting baseball of the season so far. 

In baseball terms, my freezer is kind of like my pinch hitter.

It steps up to the plate when the regular hitter is taken out of the lineup.

Luckily, the soup was a hit.