Friday, May 9, 2014

Me And My Boys


"Hail! Hail! The gang's all here!
Leave your worries at the door boy, they're not going anywhere."

--Dropkick Murphys, "The Gang's All Here"


Female Goldfinch and 3 male Goldfinches 5-9-14

"Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family.
Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one."

-- Jane Howard


Sam came home last night from his first year of college, which means all of my "boys" are together under one roof for the summer.

The gang's all here!

Which also means I am now outnumbered 3 to 1 in my own home, which is a perfectly good thing.

Yesterday morning I looked out the kitchen window and saw this little female Goldfinch on the feeder, surrounded by males. She looked back at me over her shoulder just as I snapped her picture, as if to say "I know, right? Me too."

Birds of a feather and all that.

Ooh, I almost forgot ...

Ding! Ding! Ding!

It's time for the "One More Good Thing extra bonus round."

I finally have birds coming to my feeders! We moved them a little further away from the house, and it seems to be working, finally. The Goldfinches are clearly the smartest birds of the lot and are the first to have figured out the complicated squirrel-proof designs. Most of the other the birds still just fly in, look confused and leave.