Friday, May 16, 2014

One Good Enough Thing


"Don't think that you are not good enough;
others will think that for you."

-- Vikrant Parsai

Red-winged blackbirds 5-16-14


Someone was telling me about these eleven bald eagles that circle the sky around sunset over a nature preserve near my house.

So last night, around sunset, I packed up my camera stuff and headed over there. I hadn't recorded a "good thing" for the day yet, and I figured a sky full of bald eagles at sunset would do the trick.

Guess what? No eagles.

I saw a bunny. I saw a deer. I saw some geese. And I saw lots and lots of red-winged blackbirds.

These blackbirds were particularly noisy and vocal -- as if they were squawking "Hey, look at us! Up here! We're birds too, you know. So what if we're not fancy schmancy bald eagles. They're overrated anyway. What, aren't we good enough for you? At least we had the decency to show up, for chrissakes. How's about snapping a picture of us guys?"

And so I did.

Sure, bald eagles are majestic and regal and impressive and all that shit. But so are red-winged blackbirds in their own way, with their bright red and gold epaulets, like they're wearing little military dress uniforms. It was almost dark, too dark to see much color or detail, but the twilight was just good enough to capture their silhouettes against the darkening sky.

Sometimes good enough is good enough.

And for today, that's a good enough thing.