Saturday, November 22, 2014

A Simple Life


"I only want to live in peace and plant potatoes and dream!"

-- Tove Jansson, 
Moomin: The Complete Tove Janson Comic Strip


A simple sleeping potato 11-22-14


"When all things spoke, the potato said,
'Set me warm, dig me warm, eat me warm. That's all I want."

-- Irish Proverb

"Life is amazingly good when it's simple 
and amazingly simple when it's good."

-- Terry Guillemets



Someone asked me the other day what I've been doing with myself.

She's a busy someone. An accomplished someone. An ambitious someone.

And her question that put me off balance, because part of me wanted to tick off an impressive list of accomplishments and achievements and adventures to show that I could match her ambitiousness.

But I didn't.

I don't have a list like that. Because I don't have a life like that.

But how do you tell someone you sometimes spend entire days photographing Barbies. And potatoes?

I went with the vague truth. It was a short list.

I cook. I exercise. I write a blog. I take pictures.

"Otherwise, not a whole lot," I said. "I'm living a pretty simple life these days."

And I swear a look of pure jealousy crossed her face.

"That can be good too," she said.

It can be very good.

My life right now is extremely and profoundly simple. The demands are small. The expectations are few. The bar is low.

And I like it that way.

I realize that I am really lucky to have the luxury of living simply. I also know that things won't always stay this simple. Complications will arise and disturb the surface.

But for now, for me, good and simple is simply good.