Sunday, November 23, 2014

Chickens In A Window


"Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things.
It is the one way of freedom.
If you go to a place on anything but your own feet 
you are taken there too fast,
and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside."

-- Elizabeth von Arnim,
The Adventures of Elizabeth Rugen

Ceramic chickens in a shop window 11-23-14


"It is good to collect things,
but it is better to go on walks."

-- Anatole France


Ceramic chickens in a shop window 11-23-14


"Many people nowadays live in a series of interiors ...
disconnected from each other. 
On foot everything stays connected, 
for while walking one occupies the spaces between those interiors ...
One lives in the whole world rather than in interiors built up against it."

-- Rebecca Solnit, 
Wanderlust: A History of Walking





I'm bored with exercising indoors, so yesterday I headed out for a long walk.

I saw our local fire department burning down a house for "firefighter training."

I saw hundreds of geese flying in the sky in honking, noisy Vs.

And I saw these chickens looking out from behind the glass of a closed-up shop's window.

If I hadn't taken the walk, I'd have missed seeing the firefighters.

I'd have missed seeing the geese.

And I'd have missed seeing the chickens.

It's a good thing I took a walk.