Thursday, November 13, 2014

Exercising Caution


"As with many things,
hesitation is better than hurry."

-- Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear


Traffic light 11-13-14


"Strange, what being forced to slow down 
could do to a person."

-- Nicholas Sparks, The Last Song

"Don't ever take a fence down 
until you know why it was put up."

-- Robert Frost




Yesterday I got the green light from my eye surgeon to start exercising again.

Well, it was more like a yellow light.

Because I have to proceed very cautiously and very carefully.

He said I could "resume normal activity," but when it comes to exercise, for me "normal" can be anything but.

So I pinned him down so I'd know exactly what I should -- and more importantly shouldn't -- do exercise-wise, so that I don't interfere with my eyes healing right, and looking right.

I've been a good patient so far, staying well within the strict post-op boundaries. My doctor said I am progressing nicely and on schedule and that I've been doing everything just right.

So far.

And I sure as hell don't wanna fuck it up now.

Every safe driver knows that if you hit the gas after the light turns yellow, you're much more likely to get wrecked. So for now, when I exercise, I shall exercise caution.

Usually my insane workout mantra goes something like "bigger, better, faster, more."

But for now, I need to readjust my approach to something more like, "slower, gentler, little by little, stop if necessary."

I can live with that.

Because too much of a good thing isn't always a good thing.