Friday, November 14, 2014

Snowflakes That Stay On My Nose & Eyelashes



"... the wet brush of snowflakes
was like your kisses everywhere ..."

-- John Geddes, A Familiar Rain


Geraniums 11-14-14


"... the endless repetition of an ordinary miracle."

-- Orhan Pamuk, Snow



Dogwood tree, statue & flowerpot 11-14-14
It snowed here yesterday.

Like, for real snowed.

My flowers are still in the ground, there are still apples on my trees, and there are multitudes of leaves yet to fall, but winter went ahead and got a little uppity.

It was one of those incongruent convergences, where one season is still seemingly settled comfortably in place, but another elbows its way through the front door, then stands impatiently in the foyer, tapping its foot and checking its watch and clearing its throat.

It wasn't just a passing flurry either.

It was big, fat snow that swirled and whirled and whited out everything for a good while.

You know. Snow globe snow.

Even though I'm not remotely ready for it to happen yet, our little snow storm was undeniably lovely.

And I figured, if you can't beat it, join it.


So I put off making supper for a little while and ventured out to take some pictures.


Maple tree 11-14-14
No shit, the snowflakes actually did stay on my nose and eyelashes.

By the time I came back inside, my hair, my coat and my camera were all pretty well covered.

Some of it stuck around overnight and is still frosting the ground and the rooftops this morning -- not quite a blanket of snow, but more like a crisp, white shirt.


Cosmos 11-14-14








"Are ye the ghosts of fallen leaves,
O flakes of snow,
For which, through naked trees, the winds
A-mourning go?

Or are ye angels, bearing home
The host unseen
Of truant spirits, to be clad
Again in green?"

-- John B. Tabb,
"Phantoms" (1894)


Leaf on branch 11-14-14