Friday, November 7, 2014

Frozen Peas


"Pretty little lady with the swollen eyes
Would you show them to me?"

-- "When You Can't Sleep At Night," Of Mice and Men

Peas frozen into ice cubes 11-7-14


Frozen peas 11-7-14


"Let's at least put something cold around it.
Frozen peas work pretty well."

"Do I have to eat them?"

"No, you just have to inject them into a vein."


-- Antonia Michaelis, The Storyteller






So yesterday I had a "procedure" on my eyelids to circumcise a whole bunch of baggy extra skin.

Yep. I had an eye job. A li'l nip/tuck.

My surgeon promised me that after the healing process my lids will look fabulous. But right now I look a whole lot like Rocky after the Apollo Creed fight.

Rocky

Except for the bloody lip, this is pretty accurate, actually. If it was still Halloween, I'd totally go as the Italian Stallion. Except instead of saying "trick or treat," I'd go around yelling "Cut me, Mick!"

Anyway, I'm supposed to be icing my eyes constantly to help the swelling and bruising subside. And that's where the frozen peas come in.

Frozen peas are the best for icing weirdly shaped, un-flat areas, like eyes. They snuggle beautifully down into the curves and contours of my face and kind of mold precisely into the problem area.

It looks weird, but it feels good.

I picked up three bags  of peas at the store before my surgery to get me through these first several days. Plus I have a backup bag of corn niblets if things get really dire. When one bag gets mushy, I just switch it out for a fresh one. It's my system.

What's really weird though, is that when they start getting melty, I can smell them.

So my face smells like pea.