Tuesday, December 23, 2014

A Good Shortcut


"If you would really study my pleasure, mother,
you must consider your own comfort and convenience
a little more than you do."

-- Anne Bronte, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall


Candy Land 12-23-14


"Whenever there is a hard job to be done
I assign it to a lazy man;
he is sure to find an easy way of doing it."

-- Walter Chrysler, Life of an American Workman




Shortcuts get a bad rap.

While I can certainly appreciate the character-building benefits of taking the long way, I can equally appreciate a good shortcut if it gets me to the same destination in less time.

For instance, rotisserie chickens.

I am perfectly capable of roasting a juicy, tender, delicious chicken.

But roasting a fresh, raw chicken takes time and effort and oven space. Roasting two takes even more.

Today I am making a big pot of chicken chili to bring to a Christmas party tomorrow. It's for a crowd, so I'm making lots.

Instead of roasting the chickens myself, I bought pre-cooked rotisserie chickens at the grocery store. They'll save me some time, and they'll leave my oven available for some baking that I also have to do.

Good idea, huh?