Thursday, December 11, 2014

A Strange Facial Expression


"Silence will not betray your thoughts
but the expression on your face will."

-- H.G. Mendleson


Self portrait (collage) 12-11-14



"The face is more honest than the mouth will ever be."

-- Daphne Orebaugh


" ... it took her some moments to recall
what her normal face even looked like,
but after several attempts she was able 
to settle on a reasonable facsimile."

-- Haruki Murakami, IQ84


"I want freedom for the full expression of my personality."

-- Mahatma Gandhi



I have been working away on this particular self-portrait for quite a while.

Cutout hands, glue, adhesive spray, X ACTO knives, razor blades and magazine pages have littered the floor of my workspace since about August.

I tinkered with it a little here. A little there.

In literal bits and pieces, this collage has evolved over the past few months. The good part is, it's finally done.

Yeah, I know, it's a little bit strange.

I won't bore you with inadequate words trying to explain what this self portrait means to me, or what it says about me. 

I'll just let it speak for itself and if it says something to you, that's great. 

If it makes you feel something, that's even better. 

If not, that's fine too.