Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Deviled Eggs


"Deviled eggs are so ding dang addictive. I love them!"

-- Ree Drummond, "The Pioneer Woman"

Deviled egg 12-9-14

"They held their hard-boiled eggs in one hand
and a piece of bread in the other, 
munching happily."

-- Enid Blyton, Five Go Off in a Caravan



I'm doing it again.

I'm waxing rhapsodic about eggs.

Shut the fuck up. It's my blog. I'll make sweet deviled egg love if I goddamn want to.

I'll eat eggs pretty much every which way, but deviled eggs are one of my all-time favorites. I don't make them all that often, so they always seem special when I do.

For lunch yesterday I made myself a deviled egg.

That's right, I made one. I did not make myself a bunch of deviled eggs, because if I make a bunch of deviled eggs, I will eat them all until they spew back up, and that is a terrible waste of good deviled eggs.

So I ate one. I enjoyed it. It was a good egg.

When you only have one deviled egg, you have to slow down and savor its textures, its flavors, its goodness.

Here's a confession, though. As much as I love deviled eggs, I do not enjoy eating other people's deviled eggs. 

I really only like my own.

Deviled eggs are a very personal thing for me. I like them the way I make them (which changes, depending on my mood.) And I like eating them the instant they are made because I don't like them cold from the fridge. I like them when they're still warm and soft, just barely cooled.

But that's my prerogative. Because they're my eggs. 

It seems like the only time you get offered other people's deviled eggs is on a funeral buffet or some church-lady picnic spread where they've been sitting out too long, and the tops are dried out and nasty looking (the eggs, not the church ladies). And there is always some shit of unknown provenance and origin in the filling. I don't want my yolks fucked up with crunchy shit like onions and celery and sweet pickle relish and paprika and, God forbid, canned tuna.

And don't get me started on the evils of Miracle Whip. I can't even.

(In my personal Hell, Miracle Whip is the only condiment.)

Anyway, when the deviled eggs are really good, which mine are, I don't like to share. I almost always make them just for myself, when there's nobody else at home. 

My current favorite deviled egg variation is a sort-of homage to sushi, with a tiny bit of wasabi in the filling and a sprinkle of black and white sesame seeds on top. 

You're lucky I even shared a picture.