Thursday, December 4, 2014

Beating The Blues


"My mama used to say the blues is an ailment
that don't like no sunshine in the room."

-- Lisa Wingate, Talk of the Town


Vitamin D capsules 12-4-14


"... face the sun and imagine
you are inhaling its light ..."

-- Lynda Liu, "Summer Sun for Winter Blues:
Basking in the Sun for Depression?" WebMD





Hoo boy.

It's that time of year again, when the winter blues start stalking me.

That means it's time to fight back.

While there is debate about exactly which therapies and tactics are most effective for warding off winter depression, or Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), I'm leaving the debate to the experts and covering all my bases.

I'm taking my regular meds. Faithfully. That's a no-brainer.

Some say Vitamin D deficiency is the culprit. So I am also taking lots of Vitamin D.

I'm exercising.

Some say we get depressed in winter because we absorb less sunshine due to shorter days and more time spent indoors. So I am taking a long walk outside every day.

I also have two special lights that mimic sunlight, so I can plug those in and inject a little electric sunshine into my dark interior.

Depression is serious. Trust me. I know.

And winter is like jet fuel for depression.

Keeping that fucker off my back is a daily battle.

It's a good thing I have a few weapons of my own.






*Click here for more information about Seasonal Affective Disorder symptoms and therapies.