Friday, September 12, 2014

A Doubleheader


"We've got the setting -- 
sunshine, fresh air, the team behind us.
So let's play two!"

-- Ernie Banks, 
National Baseball Hall of Fame induction speech, 1977


Baseballs in cycling and batting helmets 9-12-14

"I love doubleheaders. 
That way I get to keep my uniform on longer."

-- Tommy Lasorda


They say two heads are better than one.

I couldn't agree more.

Take yesterday, for instance.

The Indians were scheduled to play a doubleheader against the Twins to make up for their Wednesday night rain-out.

And I was out on my bicycle.

The first pitch of the first game was at noon, which is right in the middle of my daily ride.

But ...

Clever fan that I am, I tuned the game in on my iPod and pedaled happily along while I listened to Tom Hamilton and Jim Rosenhaus call the play by play.

The weather was still pretty dismal and gloomy, but inside my head it was all sunshine and summer. And, I had the best seat in the house.

I'm not usually much of a multi-tasker, but I had this one nailed, doing two of my favorite things at once.

After I got home and showered, the second game of the doubleheader came on, and I got to do it all over again. Except this time, instead of riding while I listened, I ate lunch, did some laundry, and made today's photograph celebrating the day's good turn of events.

In an even better turn of events, our boys swept the doubleheader, beating Minnesota in back-to-back games.

Go Tribe!