Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Crushing Cans


"I love smashing stuff."

-- Norman Reedus

Crushed aluminum cans 9-23-14


"Aluminum can be recycled forever. It never wears out."

-- Aluminum Can Recycling, wastecare.com



"Recycling one aluminum can conserves 300-watt hours,
enough to run a 100-watt bulb for three hours."




There's a real big box just outside our back door where we toss our empty aluminum soda and beer cans.

We don't put the cans out on the curb with the regular weekly recyclables because Leo likes to take them to the metal scrap yard for gas money.

"Tin Can Mountain" 9-23-14
Lately, because the big box is getting real full, every time I toss in a can, it just rolls off the other ones onto the garage floor and causes an aluminum can avalanche.

I've asked Leo to take care of Tin Can Mountain's overflow problem, but it just keeps growing.

So yesterday I handled it myself.

I dumped the box out on the patio, laced up my heavy motorcycle boots and stomped, crushed and flattened 'em all.

When I was done I loaded the smushed cans back into the box. What was once spilling over was now only about a third full. An added bonus: when they're flat, the little fuckers can't roll around anymore. 

I felt good.

Smashing empty cans is oddly therapeutic. Cathartic, even.

They make a really satisfying "pop-crunch" sound when you hit them just right, and I even worked up a little sweat.

It was a good way to de-stress, clean up the garage, get a little exercise and help the environment in one fell swoop.

Turns out my carbon footprint is a size 9 steel-toe Doc Martens.