Saturday, September 6, 2014

Big Sisters


"An older sister is a friend and defender --
a listener, conspirator, a counsellor and a sharer of delights.
And sorrows, too."

-- Pam Brown


Me (left) and my big sister, Alicen  9-6-14

"Between sisters, often, the child's cry never dies down.
'Never leave me,' it says; 'do not abandon me.'"

-- Louise Berkinow



My big sister, Alicen, came for a visit yesterday to watch Leo's football game.

She always blows in like a force of nature -- a whirling, swirling dervish of energy and opinion and devotion and non-stop chatter.

Alicen has been there my entire life -- through the good things, the ho-hum things, and the really, really shitty things.

She is the most loyal person I know.

She always shows up.

She always makes me laugh.

And she always loves me.

Of all her remarkable qualities, that last one is the best thing about my big sister. 

If she loves you, you'll know it, because she never, ever, ever lets you forget it.