Thursday, September 11, 2014

Blowin' In The Wind


"The wind shows us how close to the edge we are."

-- Joan Didion


Paper cocktail umbrella 9-11-14



"No one but Night, with tears on her dark face,
Watches beside me in this windy place."

-- Edna St. Vincent Millay, "Night is My Sister"



"Everyone knows it's Windy."

-- The Association, "Windy"




I ride my bicycle primarily around farmland. Right now, the corn is high and the full fields provide lovely protection against the headwinds and cross-winds that typically whip and blow across the flat openness.

Except that now is the time of year when the farmer's start harvesting the crops. And as the combines gobble all of the corn and soybeans, they are also gobbling all of my good windbreaks.

The weather is particularly windy at the moment. Like, tornado watch windy.

Winds like these make it pretty tough sledding for a solo cyclist.

Unless that breeze is at my back, it's nothing but a bitch.

And so, while they still stand, I will appreciate and enjoy each day that the towering stands of corn line my route, like sentinel soldiers, watching out for me. Protecting me from the enemy.

Pretty soon the fields will be stripped shockingly bare and that cruel taskmaster, wind, will have its way, eventually driving me indoors until Spring comes 'round again.

Sometimes you don't know how good you've got it 'til it's gone.