Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Team Spirit: If You Can't Grow One, Faux One


"Well, you tell Marge Schott to shave her Saint Bernard,
and I'll shave my moustache."

-- Rollie Fingers

Self portrait 9-2-14



So my team, the Cleveland Indians, is doing this "rally 'stache" thing in response to third baseman Lonnie Chisenhall's Twitter challenge to "raise awareness for mustache extinction."

It's kind of silly, but lots of players are rocking some pretty ridiculous mustaches, and so are plenty of fans.

It looks like fun, for the boys. 

But what about those of us who can't grow facial hair but want to jump aboard the 'stache-wagon?

What's a girl to do if she wants to show her team spirit and solidarity with a full and furry upper lip?

We fake it, of course, and go with the faux.

I don't know how truly concerned I am about mustache extinction. But am seriously concerned about my team's chances in the post-season.

So I am wearing a rally 'stache today in a show of team spirit, and to hopefully help my Indians secure a spot in the playoffs. After their 12 to 1 rout by Detroit yesterday, it looks like I'll have to do whatever it takes.

It's only weird if it doesn't work, right?

Hey. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

Oh, and in case you're wondering what you stick a faux rally 'stache on with, the answer is ...

Spirit gum!

So show your team spirit, no matter what your team's thing is -- mountain man beards, Mohawk haircuts, the rally 'stache -- whatever.

And remember, if you can't grow one, faux one.

Go Tribe!!!  Wahoo!!!