Saturday, October 18, 2014

A Good Dad


"My father gave me the greatest gift 
anyone could give another person -- 
he believed in me."

-- Jim Valvano


Lego William Shakespeare mini figure and "Li'l Will" Shakespeare action figure 10-18-14


"I believe that what we become depends 
on what our fathers teach us at odd moments,
when they aren't trying to teach us."

-- Umberto Eco, Foucault's Pendulum

"Be more than a father, be a dad.
Be more than a figure, be an example."

-- Steve Maraboli, Unapologetically You: 
Reflections on Life and the Human Experience


Picture it:

It's the night of parent teacher conferences.

My husband and I are walking down the hall to our son's first grade classroom.

All available surfaces -- the windows, the doors, the ceiling, the kids' lockers -- are decorated with artwork and projects displaying what the children have been up to.

It's Martin Luther King Jr. Day, or was earlier in the week, and the lockers leading up to our son's classroom all have little signs that say "I have a dream ..." at the top, with each child's big dream penciled in the space below.

"I have a dream ... to be an actress."

"I have a dream ... to be an astronaut."

"I have a dream ... to be a doctor."

"I have a dream ... to be a veterinarian."

"I have a dream ... to be a football player."

"I have a dream ... to be famous."

We read each one, looking for our son's, trying to imagine how Leo would answer the question, wondering just what his big dream might be. You never knew with this boy. He could be a loose canon.

My husband's sharp intake of breath let me know he'd found it. It was the only one of its kind.

"I have a dream ... to be a dad."

My husband was speechless.

To me, it made total sense.

The kids all wanted to be just like their heroes. They all wanted to be just like the coolest person they could imagine. They all wanted to be just like someone who they thought was greater than great.

Leo too.

Today is not Father's Day.

Today is not my husband's birthday.

Today is simply a regular old Saturday.

So why am I telling you this?

No special reason. I just felt compelled to let him know how lucky I feel.

My boys couldn't have a better man to pattern their lives after. He is a strong, tender, attentive, dedicated, patient, passionate, intelligent, invested, engaged, fun, interesting and way-beyond-capable father. He is the ballast in our family's ship, and without him, we'd have all floated adrift long, long ago.

Leo could have chosen anything for his first grade "dream."

He didn't just make a good choice.

He made the very best choice.

Me too.