Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A Good Warm Hat

"My ears were nice and warm, though.
That hat I bought had earlaps in it, and I put them on --
I didn't give a damn how I looked."

-- J.D. Salinger, The Catcher In The Rye

Self portrait 10-22-14

"If you don't have a hat on, you lose heat through your head,
just as you would lose heat through your legs if you were wearing shorts."

-- Richard Ingebretsen, MD, PhD, 
"Do We Really Lose Most of Our Heat Through Our Heads," WebMD




"Girl With the Pearl Earring," Vermeer
If you have super short hair like me, then you know how unsettling it feels when winter starts creeping up your neck.

I was out doing some running around yesterday, and I hadn't worn a hat. It was super windy, and super cold, and, well, winter was starting to creep up my neck.

It was unsettling.

I stopped at the sporting goods store to buy a kettlebell, and I saw this super warm, super cozy hat.

I bought it and put it on.

It felt super good.

(P.S. Is it just me, or does this self portrait have a li'l "Girl With the Pearl Earring" vibe? Except not at all.)