Monday, October 27, 2014

Hanging Out All Day At The Tattoo Shop


"My body is my journey and my tattoos are my story."

-- Johnny Depp


Tattoo machine and ink 10-27-14


My tattoo appointment started at 1 p.m. yesterday.

I didn't get home until after 3.

3 a.m., that is.

That's 14 hours. Some of that time was spent getting the design and stencil prepared, and I took a short break for dinner. But otherwise, I was in the chair, under the gun.

I totally dig hanging out at the tattoo shop -- I dig the vibe, the artists, the conversation, the music, the atmosphere -- all of it.

I even dig the pain. For me, the pain of a tattoo is pain that makes sense. I understand this pain. It's pain with purpose and a cause that I can grasp logically.

To a point, tattoo pain is strangely pleasant for me.

To a point.

But after the 12 hour mark or thereabouts, it didn't feel so quite good anymore.

I got a rather large rib piece, and by about 1 a.m. my skin pretty much felt like raw hamburger. I would have sworn my tattooer, Robin, was inking directly onto my ovaries. She promised that she wasn't. But still.

Also, I don't have much extra flesh on my ribs, and a tattoo needle right on the hip bone and the rib bones is less than pleasant.

But I did it. I made it through.

I always feel proud when Robin tells me I "sat like a beast" and am "a badass motherfucker." I love it when she tells me she has clients -- big, burly tough guys -- who can't take even a fraction of the pain that I can.

It's not a skill that's good for much except getting great tattoos.

But at least it's good for one thing.