Sunday, October 12, 2014

I'm Not Old. I'm Efficient.

"Organize, don't agonize."

-- Nancy Pelosi


Smarties, Gummi bears, Nerds and Gobstoppers in a pill organizer 10-12-14


"A schedule defends from chaos and whim."

-- Annie Dillard, The Writing Life





I remember teasing my dad when he started sorting his weekly medications into the little flip-top squares of a plastic pill organizer.

Only old codgers do that, right?

I mean, once you start using the pill organizer, it's a slippery fucking slope.

Before long you'll be wearing those weird beige shoes with the Velcro straps. And a plastic rain bonnet.

You'll stuff tissues up your sweater sleeves.

You'll start going to bed at 7:30.

You'll get nostalgic about how big candy bars used to be, and saying shit like "It's not worth a plugged nickel."

Your house will start smelling like "old."

Your addled brain will start forgetting shit.

You'll take lots of pills.

And you'll forget which pills to take. And when.

Hence, the organizer.

Well I take lots of pills. And those little fuckers are hard to keep straight. And it takes forever opening and closing all of the safety caps on all of those prescription bottles every damn day.

So yep, I keep my pills in an organizer.

I don't do it because I'm getting old. I do it because it's efficient.

I mean, when my dad started doing it he was getting up there.

He had to have been at least ...

Fuck.

He was my age.